As of June 2020, TikTok introduced a self-service advertising option akin to Facebook and Google on their platform. Hence, small businesses are now free to use TikTok marketing strategies as with other social media.
In 2020, TikTok’s revenue generation topped $1 billion. The app’s value is currently 50 times that at $50 billion! Hence, it’s a social media platform that can’t be ignored.
Basic TikTok Marketing Approach for Small Businesses
There are three main marketing approaches on TikTok.
- Paid ads for demographics already chosen by TikTok
- Targeted content for branded, verified business channels
- Partnering with TikTok stars to market products and services to their audiences
While these are all available on other social media platforms, TikTok adds its own flair to the mix. You need to understand the specifics of TikTok marketing for small businesses to really reap the rewards.
Platform Specific TikTok Marketing Techniques
- Brand Takeovers: This plays a full screen video ad when users first open the app.
- Influencer Packages: These ads run as pre-rolls on sponsored content created by a user that has audience intersections with your audience. For example, a fitness influencer will have gym membership or fitness app ads playing before their content.
- Videos Visible on TikTok Feeds: These ads are found on the “For You” page of the feed. This is the most common type of ad on TikTok.
- Hashtag Challenges: Found on the Discovery Page, this is content that is meant to connect with hashtags associated with the brand.
- Sponsored AR Content: Filters/lenses/stickers which feature brands/products. Influencers and creators can feature these in their own videos.
While some of these marketing techniques are more subtle than others, it’s important to invest in them all. You’ll get data on which ones work best for you, but without trying them all out, you won’t know for sure.
Pro Tips for Successful TikTok Marketing Videos
- Make sure your uploads are of the same video quality, i.e., stick to HD or SD, don’t switch between the two. It’s obviously in your interest to go with HD, but if your audience gravitates to SD videos, don’t switch. At times that can take away from the charm of scaled down video content.
- Use broad targeting in the beginning and work your way to popular niches. That’s TikTok marketing for small businesses 101.
- Leverage TikTok Creative Tools to create and test new ads.
- TikTok has more than 60 video templates that include different music, effects, and transitions. You don’t need pro editing skills to use them so experiment as much as possible.
- Use the Smart Video tool to create multiple versions of your video with different effects, music, and filters. This is a pretty easy way of A/B testing your ads.
- Use the Automated Creative Optimization (ACO) tool. It creates new videos using existing content you’ve uploaded to the platform. It also allows the selection of a CTA. It creates a variety of ads which you can choose from.
Using this basic guide, you can begin successfully marketing your business on TikTok.